DP World Karachi’s management is always committed to provide a safe workplace for its employees and ensures that its business activities are conducted in a manner that minimizes all kinds of adverse environmental impacts. Regular Drills are conducted within the terminal on safety or security incidences / probable occurrences, Deployment of man cages for stevedores working at heights to open container lashing, empowering supervisors and managers to lead by example and promptly correct and report unsafe behaviour, Safety induction followed by a written exam for any external party wishing to access the terminal.
We have also gone that extra mile by initiating out of the initiatives to have more active participation and engagement by our employees in terms of safety initiatives which are highlighted below :-
- Spotting the hazard competition was held where in all employees participated actively and spotted hazards within the terminal were. This activity proved very effective as the employees from different departments highlighted issues as well as submitted solutions for the issues.
- Kaun Banega Environment Champion Quiz was also held where in a quiz contest was held on the format of Kaun Banega Crorepatti (Who wants to be a Millionaire). Questions relating to Environmental effects, hazards and preventive actions were asked and there was active participation by all.
- An Extempore inter department speech competition was held and a variety of topics on safety were given on which the participants presented their speeches and awards to the best ones were distributed and valuable take aways from the competition were circulated to all.
- A Water conservation awareness program will also be held shortly where in a number of activities have been planned. Presentation highlighting the consumption, importance and conservation already circulated among all staff. A DVD of Water Wastage & Conservation has been prepared and will be played in the Staff Cafeteria all though the month of March. Pamphlets on tips on saving water in our homes have been distributed among schools, staff & other community members.
- As the consumption of fuel is proportional to RPM and torque loading of the engine, reduction in any of these factors reduces fuel consumption.
- At QICT we have reduced standard 1500 RPM of Genset to 1350 RPM by making changes in the control system and utilizing regenerative energy.
- The performance, speed and acceleration of RTG with reduced RPM is same as RTGs with 1500 RPM engine.Average fuel saving per RTG is about 1.5 ltrs per hour. Hence this will help in fuel saving and reduction in carbon emission.
- To protect the environment, DP World Karachi has planted several trees, we use recycled waste water for cleaning equipment and ITVs, and to reduce CO2 emissions, use LED lights within buildings and office to reduce electricity costs and carbon footprint.
- Non functional Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) was brought to operation by rehabilitation of entire process areas of treatment from contaminant influent to final discharge effluent to sea in order to protect marine environment of sea water from wastewater pollutant and to bring the treated effluent within EPA & NEQS limits and protect health and hygiene of people working at QICT.